Monday, July 12, 2010

the happiest place on earth.

well, i'm back in new york and while my week in southern california was all kinds of awesome, there was one thing on my to-do list that just didn't get done: go to disneyland. does that seem weird? i can't help it, i'm kind of obsessed. as someone who grew up less than an hour from the magic kingdom, the iconic amusement park represents all the best parts of the first half of my life. my parents took me to disneyland before i even remember going to disneyland, and once a year my entire family spent an epic evening there (on firemens' night!)--aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, all running amok and hitting as many rides as we possibly could between getting our mouse ears embroidered and eating the most delicious fritters at that new-orleansesque restaurant by the pirates of the caribbean. i had my first kiss on the peoplemover when the peoplemover still existed (while scenes from tron flashed on the surrounding walls) and i watched the sun rise over the matterhorn after spending my high school grad night there. in other words, i fucking love the place and i just (barely) emerged from a black hole of vintage disneyland photo scouring on the internet. the 70s is my absolute favorite disney era and i couldn't help but post these gems from early in the decade. i wish i could say this is the last time i'll subject you to my disneyland fanaticism but that would be a LIE! so i won't.


images via here, here, here, and here

6 comments:

Hello Lindello said...

The teacups!! Oh how I loved them growing up.

Evie said...

my dad spun us so fast on the teacups I was sure that our cup was going to spin off the ride entirely...I was almost embarrassed by how much faster we spun than everyone else!

samantha hahn said...

awesome!!

roberta jane said...

oh how i miss disneyland! we had annual passes in high school (because there was nothing better to do in orange county on a friday night)... i haven't been in about 2 years, but still love it every time i go!

A Beautiful Party said...

i've never been, but i think i would like the 70s version best, too!

Colleen said...

I love these photos! One of my favorite things to do is come across old pictures from my mom growing up in the 70s