Tuesday, November 24, 2009

r-o-c-k in the bk.

oh man, i had one of those weekends where i just totally fell in love with brooklyn all over again. seriously, this city rules and here are just a few reasons why: a crisp and lovely walk through prospect park, an amazing dining experience at a certain underground supper club, and a trip to the brooklyn museum where i spent hours soaking up who shot rock & roll. if you're here, you gotta check it out. the exhibit's full of iconic imagery and fascinating insights and enough nostalgia to power your sony walkman till you wear out that like a virgin cassette. this is just a teeny-tiny handful of the epic pop culture junkieness. so, so good.
patti smith photographed outside of CBGBs in New York City, 1976.

"It was on the street outside CBGBs where everyone used to hang out between sets. The only lighting was the streetlights of the Bowery. Patti was standing in just the right spot. I was a huge fan of hers. I tapped her on the shoulder and asked if I could take her picture. She put her hand to her face. I knew if I didn't fuck up I'd have a great picture. It was a slow shutter speed so she couldn't shake and I couldn't shake. We had a quarter of a second one-night stand that night. We locked in. I think she trusted me for that quarter of a second. I knew she was in exactly the right spot." -Godlis

frank zappa photographed in new york city by jerry schatzberg, 1967.

mick jagger performing in philadelphia, pennsylvania in 1982 photographed by michael putland.
madonna photographed inside new york city's danceteria in 1983.

"The picture is talking in a way. It's saying ‘Look who I am. I'm not famous but I'm going to be.' She didn't drink much but she liked her Martini. I don't think she smoked. Maybe I gave her the cigarette for attitude. I never saw Madonna smoking cigarettes as much as other people. She never did coke. That's why she was Madonna, why she became as big as she did: because she was always in control." -Maripol

9 comments:

Megan said...

I luuuurve the Brooklyn Museum...I used to intern there, and heading over there on the 2/3 was the favorite part of my week...the area, the building, the park...no wonder you feel in love with the BK again...

Rose said...

That photo of Madonna is amazing.

Hello Sweet Tooth said...

Hey! I'm workin at the BK Museum now- we have great public programming coming up that coincides with Who Shot Rock and Roll! January First Saturday (Jan 2) is hosting a screening of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, with a shadowcast performance by The Midnight Checkout Queens, the author of "Perfect From Now On: How Indie Rock Saved My Life" is speaking, and there will be KARAOKE in the glass pavilion! Come and hang out!! xo Tracy

lisa butterworth said...

megan, so rad that you used to intern there.

tracy, i didn't know you were working at the museum, that is awesome!! thanks for the heads up. so bummed i didn't make it to the pie bake-off, i'm sure it was DELISH.

Welcome! said...

this post is fantastic! i so wish i was back in brooklyn so i could shadow you for the day! the polaroid of madonna is espech awesome! also, check out LPC today - it's all about YOU! xx - kate

Vanessa said...

I'm coming home from Europe for Christmas and will be in Brooklyn for a week. I am so super excited to get back that I can barely stand it! Thanks for fueling the fire :-)

Dennise said...

I love me some Zappa! That's a great picture!

Stella said...

Sigh, i love BK. Totally going to the Who Shot exhibit, too!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the Madonna picture! She's so gorgeous and has that star "it" factor.